Sunday, May 3, 2009

Chocolate Self-Saucing Pudding


What's the most stained and crinkled page of all the pages of our cookbooks? Stephanie Alexander's Chocolate Self-Saucing Pudding. We used to make it allll the time, because this rich gooey pudding is perfect on a cold winter day. It's so easy to make, you can bung the ingredients together and stick it in the oven while you eat dinner and its ready and waiting for dessert.

Stephanie Alexander's Chocolate Self-Saucing Pudding (from The Cook's Companion)
125g plain flour
scant pinch of salt
60g castor sugar
2 tsp baking powder
2 tbsp Dutch cocoa
(1/2 cup chopped walnuts)
1/2 cup milk
40g butter, melted
1 egg
few drops of pure vanilla

For the topping:
180g brown sugar
2 tbsp Dutch cocoa
1 cup boiling water

Preheat oven to 180 degree C and butter a 750ml pie dish (I just used a 20cm square tin, it always works for me). Sift flour, salt, sugar, baking powder and cocoa into a bowl (then stir in the nuts). Combine milk, melted butter, egg and vanilla and mix into dry ingredients. Pour into dish.

To make the topping, mix brown sugar and cocoa and sprinkle over pudding batter. Pour boiling water carefully all the ingredients.

Pouring on the hot water

Bake for 40-45 minutes until puffed in the centre and pudding feels firm when pressed lightly with your fingertips.

Hot and melty, straight out of the oven


Spoon out cake and its sauce while its hot! This is best served with some good vanilla icecream...just be careful because it's impossible to stop at one helping!

Print Friendly and PDF Pin It

10 comments:

  1. Now your talking!!!! I love chocolate self-saucing pudding. Haven't yet tried this recipe... but it looks so fantastic that I'll have to try it soon :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Heehee let me know if you do try it, I haven't established if this is a foolproof recipe yet (I think my brother had a few failures) but it turned out great for me!

    ReplyDelete
  3. this looks amazingly decadent. i love a good self saucing pudding. saves on the washing up :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. that looks so delicious! i'd be scared to make it as i'd probably not be able to stop at one :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. shez - decadent is the definitely the word. yep self-saucing appeals to my lazy side!

    Betty - hahaha I totally understand, I couldn't resist goign back for seconds...and possibly thirds...

    ReplyDelete
  6. If only this was a self-making pudding, I would have it every night and grow into the fattest man mmmmmmm

    ReplyDelete
  7. It looks so good! When I brought some books to a Nigella book signing I was a bit embarrassed that they were so worn and used but she seemed delighted. I suppose it meant that I actually used it!

    ReplyDelete
  8. FFichiban - hahaha self-making would be brilliant. but maybe it is for the best that it isn't so that we don't grow into fatty blobs!

    Lorraine - Thanks! Aww that's so cute, she must have seen it as a huge compliment, I would have!

    ReplyDelete
  9. can I use self rising flour instead of baking powder + flour?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It should be fine, if you look at the recipe I posted on Kidspot (which is where I'm assuming you came from), I replaced it with self-raising flour.

      Delete

Comments are moderated and will be published ASAP. If you are viewing this on your phone, you might have to click the Preview button before posting your comment for it to work. People who comment make my day! ♥